All went smoothly and they said we could pick-up the visa in 2 hours. Typically, you come back the next working day (for us Monday) to get it. They said since there were no inconsistencies in the paperwork, we could get it that day. We were there with another couple also adopting using the same agency so we all waited an extra hour and half to get the visa's and not have to return.
After a quick stop at the hotel, we started touring. First stop the harbor town of Keelung. We saw the Buddha statue and rang a huge bell. I am sketchy in the bell's significance but think it symbolizes good luck. We were told to ring the bell one or three times (good), not two or four (bad). We climbed the inside of the big Buddha statue (hot in there!).
Then we went to Yeliu Geopark and a market there. We ate lunch at the market and tried some unusual foods. We liked the (salted) dried sea vegetables and did not like ground fish chips. We ate noodles with pork (good) and egg, noodle, clam dish (good- but looked scary). Photos of the "restaurant" are below.
The Geopark was next door on a peninsula with great views of the ocean. It has cool rock formations.. (most looked like mushrooms) People lined up to get their photo taken in front of one that they say looks like a queens head. (no photos for us).
Off to the market in Jiufen, another coastal town. It was good we were there on Friday because on weekends you cannot drive thru town due to street closures for the market and have to park under the town and walk up- maybe a mile uphill. Alex described this narrow alley market with small shops on both sides as looking like a town in Taiwan fifty years ago. Mr. Yeh had us try all kinds of new foods here. We did not try the stinky tofu but did smell it. My favorite was the ice cream like mixture with cilantro and ground peanuts in a (kind of) wrap. Photos of them making it are below. We also tried teas, jello?, fruits, and many desert like balls that I don't know the name of- But we have a bag of one of them it was so good.
Did I mention a typhoon was heading this way? It has been windy the last few days because of this. Last I heard it missed us and was heading towards Hong Kong. The breeze has been great. Did I mention it is hot?
I think that is it. It was an amazing day and we enjoyed spending it with Mr. Yeh, Alex and the Kellers.
You can't see it but this is his first Cubs hat!




Great pictures. Between looking at the pictures and listening to your music - The Climb this time around, I had tears in my eyes. Enjoy the rest of your trip - you'll be home soon!
ReplyDeleteHeather
loved all the pics :) Looks like yall are having a great time :)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
Wow! I definitely want to go there when we return with Willa and Jia!!
ReplyDeleteLove the pics of Ed and Danny.
Wow, you have done ALOT! SO glad you went to Yeliu. Danny is adorable in the Cubs hat! BTW, Kevin tried those fish chips too at Yeliu and he had the same reaction, yuk!
ReplyDeleteI am definitely putting this on our "to do" list since we did not do it last time. Looks totally cool!!! I know I've said it like every time I post, but Danny is ADORABLE!!!!! :-)
ReplyDelete