Since yesterday was National Adoption Day, it seems appropriate that I spent a few hours yesterday (totally by coincidence) working on Danny's baby book.
The other kids have traditional baby books that have the typical stuff written in them, lots for the first child and not much for the second child. Although we have a scrapbook of items from our Taiwan trip including all the referral and update photos, a photo album from the trip and I plan to do a life book at some point, I would feel bad if someday Kyle and Paige were looking at their baby books and Danny did not have something similar.
I was excited to find an baby book focused on adoption at a shop near my office when I was browsing one day. So yesterday, I looked at the e-mails from the referral day, my notes on the blog and completed a lot of it. I will add photos and then I will need to remember to go back and add more "firsts" as they occur (this is the hard part!).
This week I have been reading the blog of a fellow adoptive mom from Taiwan who I met after we brought Danny home. She has been reflecting on adoption this week and is truly gifted in her ability to put her thoughts and emotions into words. Thanks again for sharing Lisa! All this has led me to spend time thinking about Danny's story, what words we will use to tell it to him, his birth mom and her situation, and how Danny will feel when he is older and understands how our family was formed. I know it will all fall into place and I will learn to tell his story over time because he makes our family feel so complete. I would never have guessed when Ed and I met 20 years ago or when we were married 11 years ago that our journey would include adopting a beautiful boy from Taiwan but somehow it all fell into place and feels so right. We are very blessed!
One quick story- Kyle told us the other day that he does not think we should tell Bob (Danny) that he is adopted because he does not want him to feel bad (Kyle is very sensitive and worries about everyones feelings). We asked something like "Don't you think he will notice he does not look like you?" Kyle explained that he does looks like us- isn't that great! Of course, we explained that we will be open with Danny about his story and why. I love that he is oblivious to our conspicuous family and wonder how long that will last.
Kyle's suggestion to not tell Danny about being adopted is also funny because he cannot help from telling everyone. Whenever strangers stop to talk to us and Danny, Kyle tells them quickly and proudly that his brother is from Taiwan. (Yes this happened last night again)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Katie,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry ~ I didn't realize that you had come out of bloggy retirement AND I'm so glad you did!
Belated wishes for Danny's 11 mos. old milestone; what a handsome little man he is and his smile could melt the ice caps!
I love what your son said about "Bob" resembling all the rest of the family ~ our Lauren has often said the same thing! Children are such a gift and their capacity to love is humbling!
Thank you for the thoughtful shout-out ~ I'm very appreciative for all the feedback and I'm certain that the story you weave for sweet Danny will be just right! The babybook sounds wonderful and I love that companies are becoming more responsive to adoptive families.
I owe u an email :) hopefully tonight when the munchkins settle a bit(or tomorrow if time gets away!)...but I was soooo excited to see your post that I simply had to reply right away!! :)
Great post!!
Hugs!
Great post Katie!!! I love what Kyle said, that's so cool that he doesn't think Danny is different!! I'd love to know where your found a baby book focused on adoption, can you shoot me an email?? THANKS!!
ReplyDeleteProps to you for getting on Danny's baby book! I am just starting all 3 kids baby books (Lifebooks) this Winter break! Loved this post!
ReplyDelete